Monday, November 10, 2008

Whoops

The young man, in a red jacket, black cap, and grey work pants, steps off the bus and makes a hasty shuffle down the ice-covered sidewalk.

He's carrying his gloves in one hand and a large Tim Horton's coffee in another.

The bus is still stopped, as the light is red. As the man reaches the street corner, he slips and falls. I hear a number of the bus passengers exclaim, "OH!" as they see him fall. Fortunately, he reaches out with his glove hand and stabilizes himself so it's not a total wipeout, but he's obviously somewhat embarrassed as he continues on his way.

The impressive thing to me is that he didn't spill his Tim's. In my days as a taxi driver, I've seen drunks be just as agile with their beer or whiskey bottles when they fall, often landing flat on their backs without spilling a single precious drop of their elixir.

There's my stop.

I step very carefully.

No comments: