Saturday, November 1, 2008

"I See You!"

Also waiting for a bus at my transfer point downtown, she's in her mid-20s. Her long, brown hair hangs in two thick braids. She's both plump and big-boned, wearing a jean jacket, black pants, and high black boots.

As I'm taking in my surroundings, I see her look at me as she makes a call on her cell phone. Then quite unexpectedly I hear her say, "I see you!"

My instinct tells me she's referring to me at the same time as it tells me she's not, but by the time I've reconciled the contradiction I have already looked at her. She has turned around and is waving at a friend who works in a ground-floor office in the building next to the bus stop. "I just sent you a text message," she adds. Their conversation spirals downward into girlish giggles about how cool it is to see a person through impermeable glass, talk, and send written communication all at the same time.

It's almost like they're really communicating.

There's my bus.
.

No comments: