Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bus Mafia

There are three of them lounging at the back of the bus - very young, olive-skinned men, no more than 20 years old.

I first notice them when I take my seat, as one of them is so relaxed he has his arm hung over the back of my bench. He reluctantly pulls it back when he determines that I won't tolerate it there.

I quietly observe their interaction for a few moments. They are loud, boisterous, and somewhat annoying. One of them, obviously the "leader" of the group, is literally lounging across a four-person bench, reclining on his backpack, arm propping up his head, like an ancient Caesar. He is clean shaven, except for an attempt at a moustache. At first glance it looks more like a smudge, but with closer examination I can see distinct individual hairs. About eight of them.

They're chattering away. For a moment I think it's French, but their inflection is far too violent. I conclude that it's Italian.

Eight-Hair is the funny one, judging from how the other two laugh at everything he says. I suspect it's vulgar humour and am glad I don't know Italian. Arm-slinger always laughs the hardest. The other one tries to inject his own funny comments from time to time, but elicits no more than polite spurts of chuckles from Eight-Hair and Arm-Slinger. I wonder how these three developed their friendship. Perhaps they're brothers; they look similar enough.

There's my stop. As soon as I get up, Arm-Slinger slings his arm over my seat again.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

We get quite a few Brazilian exchange students in Winnipeg, and I've seen quite a few of them taking the bus in large loud groups.

Also, Portuguese is surprisingly guttural for a Romance language, which may be the "violent French" you were referring to. It can almost sound Germanic at times. Italian stresses how words flow together more than French, which gives it that consonant vowel consonant vowel rhythm (ma - ma - mia!), which is fairly distinctive. So young Brazilians would be my guess.