Saturday, September 27, 2008

Puppy Love

Today I make a point of sitting up front; recently I've hardly paid attention to the demographic that sits up here.

But my subject isn't at the front of the bus. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

He's about 19 or 20, still emitting some of the gawky teenage awkwardness which he has not yet entirely shed. His brown hair is long and floppy, like the kids wear it these days. Average height, slim, he's dressed in blue jeans and a tan jacket.

In fact, when I first see him, he has just gotten off off the bus, behind me through the rear door. As he disembarked, he had pivoted and is now slowly walking backwards, waving at somebody still on the bus. The thing that catches my attention is that he's waving with just his index finger, in a very cutesy, girly kind of way. His face is scrunched up in the unmistakable ear-to-ear grin of heavy duty infatuation. Ah, young hearts.

And he's gone from my sight.

No comments: