Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Overheard

I have no physical description of my subjects today; other than that there were two young aboriginal men, sitting directly behind me. Obviously friends, they were chatting up a storm. I found their conversation to be full of the deep, raw, diverse richness of human experience, and am reproducing it here to the best of my recollection.

They will be known as "Left" and "Right" to indicate on which side of the seat they sat.

I presume their discussion began with Left saying he had been awarded a moderate amount of American cash.

Left: What's the exchange rate anyway? I'm probably going to spend it all.
Right: Just be careful who you tell about it. Some people will become your friends just to get at the money.
Left: I wish I had an account, because then I'd put half of it in there and just leave it so I don't spend it all.
Right: Whatever you do, don't buy a bunch of clothes or stuff like that. Get an X-Box 360, or a PS3. That would rock.
Left: You know that guy, that trucker guy? He makes a ton of money. He's 20 something, and still a virgin. Says he's waiting until he's married.
Right: Mr. Peters?
Left: Yeah. He's an all right guy.

They say nothing for a few moments.

Left: He must be in his 30s by now. I can't believe he's still a virgin. So I've got to get my IDs updated, and I need two visas. My social insurance and health card should be fine.
Right: Some places don't accept it.
Left: No, most places accept it. In Manitoba, anyway. Outside of Manitoba they don't. Man, I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.
Right: Or today. Jenny has cable, I should go over there and look at the TV to find the forecast.
Left: I hope she doesn't put my stuff in the hallway. It'll get ripped off for sure. What did she say when I passed the phone back to you?
Right: Oh, not much. She just yelled a bit.
Left: She probably won't put my stuff in the hall. It's all packed in bags and just inside the apartment door. You know, she threw a glass ashtray at me, eh?
Right: Wow. She could go to jail for that.
Left: So would I then though. But if I can keep my nose clean until the trial in January, then I'll be fine. It shouldn't be too hard to pay off a $280 fine. I think I'll put $100 on it right away. Where do I do that?
Right: At the law courts, I think.
Left: [gesturing out the window] That used to be my hospital, where I went for dialysis.
Right: Really?
Left: Yeah. Does the bus have the heat turned on?
Right: [unintelligible]
Left: You know what, I should have taken a leak before I left your house, man.
Right: I did.
Left: I know, it's like crazy, man. I really gotta go.


There's my stop.

So much left unsaid... imagine the stories behind all those glimpses into Right's life.
.

No comments: