Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Chivalry

My morning bus is mostly empty. But a horde of elementary students is waiting at the upcoming stop, and they pour into the bus like warm honey over hot toast. One of the first ones, a young black boy dressed gansta style, plods quickly to the back of the bus and sits widely in a two seater. He crosses his arms and projects an air of "don't dare try to sit with me" all around him. Such anger; it's very sad to behold.

A pair of Filipino girls is next. Observing that there is technically room in his seat for one of them but also sensing his wall, one comments to the other, "That boy's taking up the whole seat." They stand awkwardly at the rear exit, not sure where else to sit as the bus has filled with students by now.

I glance over at him to see if he overheard her comment, hoping that he'll show some manners and make room. He meets my gaze, which indicates to me that he knows why I'm looking at him, but the wall remains in place. He even seems to add a psychic cannonball barrage in my direction for daring to make eye contact with him. Not sure what else my eye contact can contribute to the silent discussion, I break and let it pass.

He can't be more than ten years old. How does a child develop such a scornful attitude, such prolific disdain? What kind of parents could just sit back and let it happen? I see this type of behaviour all too often in the youth on the bus. How is society going to cope with this upcoming generation of first class jerks?

In retrospect, I wonder if it would have been inspirational to him if I had given up my seat for the young ladies. Hmm.

No comments: