Saturday, September 13, 2008

American Traveler

I don't know if he's actually an American, but his overnight bag bears that label.

He's probably in his early 50's, and since he's on the bus that comes from the airport, I'm betting he's returning from a business trip. He's wearing brown shoes, tan dress pants, a tweed sport coat complete with leather patches on the elbows, a checkered blue collared shirt, but no tie - it's casual Friday, after all.

He's wholly unremarkable. With my dark sunglasses I'm able to point my head in a different direction and yet still observe him. Occasionally he scratches his head, or crosses his arms. At one point he even twiddles his thumbs. His shifts around in his seat a bit, and crosses his arms.

I stifle a yawn.

Every time the bus lurches to a stop he puts a hand on his overnight bag, which is standing upright on the floor beside his seat, to keep it from rocketing to the front of the bus.

Well, that's something, at least.

There's my stop. I'm fortunate with my connection today; my next bus pulls up right behind this one as I disembark. I climb on the new bus. The two buses follow the same route through downtown Winnipeg for a few blocks, so I can see my previous bus right in front of me.

His bus lurches to a stop again. I see him get off, leather patches and all. His American Traveler overnight bag has one of those retractable handles; he extends it and pulls the bag along behind him like it's a Red Flyer and he's four years old again.

By golly, was he boring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As was this entry.

Something tells me you style your prose after the very overrated Steve at waiterrant...

God only know how he got a book deal. I don't see one coming your way.

Doogie said...

Oh, SNAP!

Yes, Steve was part of my inspiration here. Personally, I admire his blog, and I loved his book. But to each his own.

The purpose of the "boring" entry was an experiment to see if I could legitimize the boring people I see on the bus. Apparently I made it as boring as it truly was, so mission accomplished. :)