Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Zzzzzzzz

I'm tired today. Stayed up too late last night, blogging. (You're welcome.)

First, I went with my wife to her ultrasound appointment. After that, she dropped me off at work, so I skipped the first bus trip. Immediately from there, I drove up to Gimli to meet with a customer, and by the time I got to my office my work day had 3 hours remaining. Those three hours flew by, as I am extraordinarily backed up (but I still love this job!) and have much to fill my days.

Finally, I'm on my home-bound bus, but don't quite feel as relaxed as I should like. So instead of observing the people around me, I bury myself in a book.

I transfer to my last bus of the day, and tell myself, "OK, Doogie, it's time to put the book away, hunker down, and see something interesting." But I made a poor choice of seats - the back of the bus, where the rocking and swaying are like being held in mommy's arms. I try to keep an eye on the cute redhead with the 'Canadian Politics' textbook but before I know it my head is nodding and my eyes are drooping (I'm surprised that she's not sleepy too, with that choice of prose). I awaken with a start, and reset my resolve. There - buddy with the ball cap, and his longish hair is sticking out the opening in the back, which makes it look something like a knob on a dresser drawer.

But then... nod, droop... no - awake! Watch, observe!

A man whose every extremity can be described as long and skinny is reading the newspaper. His long, skinny arms fling out like gull wings every time he flips the page. His long, skinny fingers gently grasp the very edges of the paper. His long, skinny nose and long, skinny hair accentuate his long, skinny head.

Nod, droop... gah, stay awake man!

A leathered construction worker lets out a particularly nasty cough, catching my attention. But only for a fleeting moment.

Nod, droop...

Approaching my stop now. An aged man dressed in a tan jacket, tan shirt, tan shorts, tan hair, tanned skin, and flip flops (also tan), sits beside me... and golly does he reek.

That keeps me awake quite nicely for the next block.

There's my stop.

No comments: