Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Needy

A young lady is seated directly behind me on my bus ride home. She's talking to a friend on her phone. Shamelessly eavesdropping on the conversation, I hear her say things like:

  • "I'm really starting to get annoyed at him for being so needy."
  • "He once turned his cell phone off for like two days, and I tried calling him and it was off so I just figured he needed some time. Everybody needs time away now and then, so I didn't think it was a big deal."
  • "But later I turned my phone off, for like, a couple of days, because I was sick and did not want to talk to anybody and just wanted to sleep the whole time."
  • "And literally the second I turned my phone back on it rang and it was him and he's like, 'Where were you? I tried calling you, like, 30 times in the last two days.'"
  • "Like, wow. Figure it out - if somebody leaves their phone off for a couple of days, just let them be and stop worrying."
It goes on like this for like, ten minutes, like, wow, okay?

But I'm taking it as a rare insight into the female mind, from the perspective of a guy who used to be that clingy to his love interests. In my experience, there is a very thick line between being annoyingly needy and being a creepy stalker.

At least, for her sake, I hope so.

There's my stop.

No comments: